Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pain in the Asics


Asics, I have a bone to pick with you. Fifty-two bones, actually.

There was a time, in the not-so-distant past, when I would not have felt the need to explain the above biological reference. But since you obviously no longer base your shoe designs on human anatomy and physiology, I will spell it out for you: together, my feet contain a total of 52 bones. And right now, thanks to your senseless redesign of my beloved Gel-Cumulus, not a single one is happy. 

I understand that product improvement is a natural, necessary component of America’s consumer-based economy. To stay in business, companies must constantly pump out “new and improved” goods that both attract first-time buyers and keep the attention of repeat customers. I mean, think about it: if Americans were satisfied with the original version of every product on the market, we’d all be driving Model T’swatching three channels of black and white TV, and navigating unfamiliar cities with fold-out maps that can neither search for the nearest Red Lobster nor provide step-by-step instructions on how to get there.

Every once in a while, though, a company comes up with a product so amazing, so brilliant, so incomprehensibly perfect, that the mere suggestion of a redesign would be like telling Patrick Dempsey to do something with his hair. The Cumulus was, in my opinion, one such product.

I acquired my first pair of Cumulus the summer before my sophomore cross-country season in high school. It was love at first run—the way the light, cushy sole cradled my heels and arches with every footfall; the way the laces hugged my forefoot with just the right amount of pressure; the way the roomy toe box accommodated my abnormal phalangeal* structure.

Since then, I have purchased an average of three pairs of Cumulus per year. According to the series of quick phalangeal** calculations I just performed, that means I’ve gone through approximately 30 pairs of Cumulus in my lifetime. In those shoes, I have logged upwards of 12,000 miles, or about 36 million foot strikes. THIRTY-SIX MILLION.

Imagine, for a moment, that over the last decade you have consumed 36 million McChicken sandwiches. What does that mean, aside from the fact that you have spent $36 million on fast food and your liver health/budgetary skills are questionable at best? It means that if the master chefs at your local McDonalds tried to short you an ingredient—the unsettlingly warm mayonnaise, for example, or perhaps the highly impractical shredded lettuce that somehow always ends up on your lap, on the floor of your car, or in some other place that is not your mouth—you would notice. Immediately.

So when I laced up my brand new Cumulus 14s for a nice morning jaunt through the neighborhood, I could tell something was wrong before I even left the driveway. These were not the Cumulus that I knew and loved. These were imposters.

That the folks at Asics thought they could sneak one by me is not just upsetting—it’s downright insulting. Come on, Asics, did you really think I wasn’t going to notice that you eighty-sixed the gel cushioning in the midsole? Or that you narrowed the toe box to such a degree that I would have to amputate my pinky toe to achieve the roomy fit to which I’ve grown accustomed (which, for the record, I am not willing to do)?

We had a relationship built on trust. For years, I trusted you to provide me with a shoe I could rely on—a shoe so dependable that I never even felt the need to try it on at the store. I would simply walk in, ask for a size 7 ½, pay the nice man (or woman) at the counter, and be on my merry way. Now that trust has been violated, and our relationship can never be the same.

It might sound like I’m breaking up with you, and if that were the case, could you really blame me? You did me wrong, Asics. You hurt me. Literally—my feet are effing sore. But, before I go looking for a new shoe to call my own, I’m willing to give you one last chance to make things right. And by “things,” I mean “shoes.”

In fact, I’ll make a deal with you: As long as the Cumulus 15 is an exact copy of the 13, we can all just forget that the 14 even happened, kind of like Kevin Federline’s rap career. 

*Of, or relating to, toe bones. That’s a good one to remember if being a contestant on Jeopardy! is part of your life plan.

**Of, or relating to, finger bones. Yes, there are two types of phalanges. Confused? I blame Canada.

7 comments:

  1. I bought my first pair of Asics - the 21xxs, but back when they were the 20xxs - in high school. I wore them for about a decade through many iterations. Then, all of a sudden, I started getting blisters mid-arch. I gave them the benefit of the doubt for as long as I could. I tried rotating my shoes to make sure it wasn't just that I had a blister that wasn't healing easily. Nothing worked - turns out they'd moved the medial post or some such and there was now stitching there.

    I now hate Asics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard a lot of stories like that through the years. I guess I always had that "it won't happen to me" kind of mindset. I want so badly not to hate Asics, but if they don't get it together, I am left with no choice.

      Delete
  2. I had a similar relationship with Asics DS-Trainers. It lasted well over a decade. When Asics eventually “improved” the Trainers to the point that they were no longer fun to run in, the internet came to my rescue. Many retailers overstock, and if you Google “Gel Cumulus 13” you will find that they can still be purchased. Not all will have your size, but some should. Buy 3 pairs to get you through the year and then hope that the next marketing iteration will work for you. You can also send frequent complaints to Asics. While the complaints probably won’t convince them to return to the shoe you enjoyed, it will mentally prepare you to move to another brand when you can no longer purchase your old running buddies. The local running shop steered me to Mizuno Waves, which offered a shoe that was very similar to the older DS-Trainers. My relationship with the Waves only lasted a few years until they eventually “improved” beyond comfort. Good luck, and move quickly before your size disappears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried this immediately after my first run in the 14s. Apparently everyone else had the same idea, because I was unable to track down my size. This is a rare example of a situation in which I wish I wore a size 11. Then I would have my pick of 13s, in whatever color combo I desired! I stumbled on a pair a couple of weeks ago when I was out shopping. Even though they were a half size too small, I scooped them up. I have yet to try them out, but even if they are a little snug, anything is better than the 14.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes it pays to not think like a runner. 13s have probably been scooped up from the running footwear sites. However, runners do not generally consider regular retail sites for their technical footwear. Kohl's has women's 7.5 in stock. Google "Asics Gel Cumulus womens kohl's". The downside is they don't discount them much, but they still exist.

      Delete
    3. Well gosh, I should have thought of that! After all, I found my last pair of Cumulus at Famous Footwear. Thanks for the tip! Getting my credit card now...

      Delete
  3. It is time you should convert to the shoe company you were destined to frequent since birth...

    Brooks.

    But seriously. I think you might like the PureFlows, or some of their less traditional trainers. The flows are wonderfully cushy without extra weight. If I were you, I'd make my way to a for serious running store and try on like a bajillion pairs from different manufacturers. I used to only run in the Asics 2100 series until they made them so light they weren't putting up with my mileage the way they used to. I went through probably 4 or 5 pairs a year for 4 or 5 years. When I went to a running store, I had them analyze my gait, I told them what I like and don't like from a shoe, and it turned out that my stride had changed pretty significantly. I didn't need to be in a stability shoe anymore, as I no longer pronate. My feet were slightly wider (probably because I pound the crap out of them). The owner of the store told me that "You're not 15 anymore" as an explanation. It was actually time to switch up my footwear anyway, even though I hadn't ever thought I wanted to change and had been forced out of the "improved" version of my Asics.

    Once every few years, I think it's good to just try on a bunch of trainers from a bunch of different manufacturers, because you'll never know what you'll like, and things sometimes change for the better as well as for the worse. I now run primarily in the NB minimus road, the Saucony Kinvara, and the Brooks PureFlow (mostly for recovery/long days), though I have a few pairs of racing shoes (the Mizuno Wave Universe for 5kish distances, and an old verson of the Asics Speedstar, which will soon be beyond busted and the new version sucks).

    ReplyDelete