Friday, April 6, 2012

Jeans are not waterproof (and other things I learned from my first track meet as a coach)

You know how they say you’ll never fully appreciate everything your parents did for you until you become a parent yourself?

That’s kind of how I feel about coaching (minus the poopy diapers and college tuition).

When I was in high school, I secretly harbored a tiny bit of resentment toward the track and field coaching staff. In my world, a track meet was an eight-to-ten-hour rotation between being so nervous I could vomit, running so hard I could vomit, and actually vomiting. In their world, a track meet was an all-day party where they could eat junk food, get a tan, and occasionally yell stuff.

So when I showed up to my first track meet as a coach, I expected to walk in, grab a clipboard (which, truth be told, I had no intention of actually using) and make a beeline for the concession stand. Then, licorice rope in hand, I would find my athletes and offer them a few words of sagely advice before finding a comfortable spot to watch them take my golden drops to heart and kick ass.

Here’s what really happened: I walked in, was immediately assigned to finish-line duty and, for the duration of the meet, alternated between pulling up my soaking wet jeans and struggling to record names and times on a sheet of paper that was literally disintegrating in the rain/sleet/snow/hail/[insert desired precipitation here]. Because in Montana, we believe the true measure of a state’s worthiness is its refusal to cancel an athletic event due to weather.

But, as every good coach knows, each meet is a learning opportunity. So what did I gain, besides a renewed appreciation for dry underwear? The answer: a renewed appreciation for the volunteers who count laps for the 3200 in a blizzard so that athletes can run the 3200 in a blizzard.

To better explain my drastic change of perspective, I created the following T-chart:


What I thought I knew before

What I know I know now


Finish line workers are people who volunteered for the meet on their own accord.


Finish line workers are rookie coaches who were volunteered against their will.

When the starter says, “Sweats off!” it’s OK to take another stride or two and delay removing your sweats until the last possible moment in order to conserve muscle warmth.

When the starter says, “Sweats off!” it’s time to take your damn sweats off.

Varsity runners should always have their own heat so they don’t have to deal with all of the slow JV kids.

When it’s raining sideways and there are no adult beverages available, nobody gets their own heat.

What do coaches and meet officials have to complain about? It’s not like they have to run in this crap.

I would rather run three-straight 3200s in this crap than be stuck standing here in wet jeans. (Seriously, is there anything worse than wet jeans? If I were a judge, I would make all prisoners wear wet jeans all day, every day, as part of their sentence.)

When the weather gets really bad, they should cancel the rest of the meet.

This is Montana, and we would sooner flush a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon down the toilet than cancel a track meet on account of a little rain.

5 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention the fun of watching nine heats of the 100 meters in the wind and wet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, definitely the highlight of my day! At least it was "only" nine!

      Delete
  2. I discovered your blog a couple of weeks ago and love it. I'm in high school and run xc and track. And since I live in alaska, I can relate to the weather situation. For most of track season we're happy if it's above freezing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Above freezing!?! Even by Montana standards, that is crazy! But hey, at least it makes us tough, right? I hope you'll keep reading--thanks for the comment, and good luck this season!

      Delete
  3. Yikes, that sounds miserable! But you have my admiration for being there for the kids and keeping you sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete