Friday, June 29, 2012

This, not That

Five months into my half-marathon training, I have come to a terrible conclusion: I’m turning into That Lady.

You know the lady I’m talking about—we’ve all seen her, or her male counterpart, That Guy.

They’re the way-too-serious recreational runners who cruise down the local river trail dressed in head-to-toe tech gear: compression socks, arm sleeves, moisture-wicking visors, GPS watches, hydration belts, Breathe Right strips.

In college, my teammates and I used to make fun of them. Of course, most of us were too poor to afford any sort of gear to supplement the oversized sweats and T-shirts we were issued at the beginning of the season. But come on, nothing makes you more legit than running a Division I college cross-country workout in a grey cotton T-shirt that was made for the world’s fattest cross-country runner.

So anyway, now that I have a real-ish job, I have been able to add to my gear arsenal. When someone suggested that I try GU in order to combat the “ugh” feeling that I experience at around mile eight of my long runs, I went to the store and bought a whole bunch of GU packs.

And just like that, I became That Lady who stuffs GU packs in her shorts before long runs.

The only problem was that ingesting the GU mid-run caused an unfavorable reaction in my GI tract. My first thought was, “Shit—did I check the expiration date on that mayonnaise?”

Turns out, Best Foods had nothing to do with my mishap. I had completely overlooked the fact that GU is supposed to be consumed with water. Otherwise, you don’t digest it properly. Rookie mistake.

Soon, I was That Lady who stuffs GU packs in her shorts and plans her runs around designated water stops. I even considered planting water bottles along my routes.

Maybe you’ve been there, too. If you’ve ever Googled “Public water fountains in [insert your town here],” then you most likely have played the role of That Lady or That Guy at some point in your life.

Right around the time when I was researching algebraic equations that could help me determine the water and GU intake intervals that would maximize my energy levels, I realized that I had gone too far.

When I started training for this stupid race, the goal simply was to finish. Once I got a couple of long runs under my belt and realized that I was definitely capable of finishing 13.1 miles, the goal was to crack the top 10.

By the time I was crunching numbers like a tax accountant with a meth problem, I was determined to win at all costs.

The thing is, I’m the kind of person who can drive herself insane over the most minute details of a race—stuff that has nothing to do with fitness or preparation.

The 800 meters was bad enough. During my warm-up routine, my mind was usually consumed by a continuous stream of ridiculous worries. Should I wear tights or not? Is my ponytail too high? Do I have a visible panty line? Is Dancing With the Stars on tonight?

And that’s only for a two-lap race. Multiply it by, oh, 26, and you can see why I so vehemently resist becoming That Lady. My obsessive personality can’t handle That Lady.

Therefore, I’ve decided that I shall henceforth be known as This Lady. This Lady eats GU whenever she feels like eating GU. This Lady doesn’t give a rip about VPL. And This Lady is going to kick some serious ass next weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck!!! Can't wait to hear how you do! My money's on you to win!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother makes fun of me every time because I am That Sister. Awkward for him, awesome for me. Kick it next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's awesome! My little brother is actually running the race next week, and I've been talking some serious smack. So if nothing else, I HAVE to beat him.

      Delete
  3. Great news; you should set a new course record! At least that is the prediction from a running calculator that estimates times for longer races based on times already run in shorter races, taking into account a slower pace (http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6765).
    I think you had an 800m PR of about 2:10. Plugging that figure into the finish time estimator shows you should finish the half in about 1:16:46. The other good news is it estimates your 800m pace would be a relatively slow 2:42. All you need to do is string 26 of them together and you will have a new course record. I’m a course monitor at the final corner as you head to the finish line. I’ll be expecting you about 1:15 into the race. Don’t be late! And don’t obsess over the finish time estimator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those running calculators always make me feel so inadequate. I once plugged in my 800 PR to see what I "should" be able to run a 5K in, and I think it came up with 16:30 or something ridiculous like that (my 5K PR is 18:16). So yeah, I might not set the course record, so don't be too disappointed if I come around that corner a few minutes late. Also, don't take it personally if I shout obscenities at you when you tell me to kick it in. This distance is uncharted territory for me, and I have no idea of how it will affect my sanity. Glad to hear you're volunteering though! See you Sunday!

      Delete
    2. Boy, it sounds like some doubts are creeping in. I’m sure you are going to kick some tail. Look at the bright-side; you’ve been tapering for a couple years since your Division I days, so your legs should be good and rested. Just take the advice you give your high school runners and start out under control, then try to do a reverse split. I’m so confident you will do spectacular, I’m willing to make you a wager. If you don’t set a PR in the half I will buy you a barley-pop or other carb-replacement beverage of your choice. If you do set a PR you can get one for me. Sound fair? I’ll probably be pretty thirsty by the time the course closes. By the way, I’ll only yell at you to kick it in if you allow the second place female to get too close.

      Delete
    3. Congrats on finishing your first half-marathon. Sorry, but I had to yell at you to kick it in simply because you cautioned me not to. This is what you get for acquiring acquaintances like me that kid with you like you are one of the family. Good job keeping your obscenities internalized.

      Delete
    4. The only thing keeping my obscenities at bay was the projectile vomit that surely would have come out if I had opened my mouth to speak. Thanks for cheering! Oh, and I ended up running a PR (imagine that!) so it looks like I owe you a barley pop.

      Delete
  4. Moisture wicking shirt, shorts, compression socks, visor, GPS watch...yes to all. So, why aren't I faster?

    Good luck in the half!

    ReplyDelete